Monday, August 18, 2008

From NPR on death of commentator:


LEROY SIEVERS, NPR COMMENTATOR AND BLOGGER,
CREATOR OF ONLINE CANCER COMMUNITY “MY CANCER,”

HAS PASSED AWAY AT THE AGE OF 53



TRIBUTE TO SIEVERS AT www.NPR.org



“I am reminded again that my membership in this club, something I never would have wanted, is what has kept me alive.” – Leroy Sievers, NPR’s “My Cancer,” June 27, 2008



August 16, 2008; Washington, D.C. – Broadcast journalist Leroy Sievers, who openly chronicled his battle with cancer in the “My Cancer” commentary, blog and podcast on NPR, and in the process built a massive online community of people whose lives have been touched by the disease, died last night at home in Maryland, at the age of 53. He is survived by his wife, Laurie Singer, and a legion of family and friends.



Over the past two years, Sievers wrote candidly about his ongoing battle with cancer on the daily “My Cancer” blog, and invited its online community – which grew to include thousands of readers and contributors – to share their comments and experiences. Sievers could also be heard in regular commentaries about living with cancer on Morning Edition and a “My Cancer” podcast.

No comments: