Thursday, December 31, 2020

 A new transition

Here's the start to my moving-on column the New Haven Register Jan. 3 and online Dec. 31, 2020 and a link to it:

Article in Register

It’s been a wild and quip-filled ride in news    and features; now it’s time to stand up

It’s been a wild and quip-filled ride in news    and features; now it’s time to stand up

By Joe Amarante


After years at The Journal-Courier and New Haven Register - and all the publications that Hearst Connecticut Media has brought with it in recent years - I decided recently to leave the Register Dec. 31. Maybe this challenging year convinced me it’s time for a bit of a change.

Or maybe, in my 60s, it’s just too many hours sitting down, since I have worked from my home during 2020. Health experts will tell you that sitting and typing for long hours is more than just a pain in the butt. It will move up your expiration date.

It’s been a long, strange trip, this job. But I will miss it, partly because journalists are the coolest people I’ve known — curious, funny, more than a bit testy and part of a club with a glorious, ink-stained, booze-soaked past. But also because it’s worthy and even crucial in a democracy.

Most journos are trained to gather and present verifiable truth and attributable assertions, so the last four years it’s been tough to listen to a president call us “enemies of the people.” My affection for news folks doesn’t include the time-killing blowhards on partisan cable TV or syndicated radio; it’s more a reference to local journalism.

No comments: